Disabling System Sleep
Back to My Mac is polite. It won’t wake a sleeping Mac just to connect to it. You need to set the sleep preferences for the Mac to which you expect to connect, so that it doesn’t go to sleep. Follow these steps:
- In the toolbar in the Sharing preferences window, click the Show All button.
- Click the Energy Saver icon in the System Preferences window.
- In the Energy Saver preferences window, click the Sleep button to display the sleep options (see Figure 4).
- Drag the top slider all the way to the right, to the Never setting.
Figure 4 Set sleep options so your Mac stays awake.
- Repeat steps 1–4 for each Mac that you expect to access via Back to My Mac.
- When you’re finished messing around with these options, close the preferences window.