Step 2: Pair Your Phone with Your Computer
It isn’t enough for your phone and computer to have Bluetooth enabled. The two devices must be introduced to each other (so to speak) and paired. Follow these steps:
- Make sure that your phone’s Bluetooth feature is enabled and your phone is set up as discoverable or visible. Check the documentation that came with your smartphone for exact instructions.
- On your Mac, choose Set Up Bluetooth Device from the Bluetooth icon menu, as
shown in Figure 1. If the Bluetooth menu isn’t showing, choose Apple >
System Preferences and click the Bluetooth icon in the System Preferences window
that appears. Make sure that the Bluetooth Power check box is enabled and click
the plus (+) button at the bottom of the list of devices (see Figure 2).
Figure 1 The easiest way to start setting up a device is to choose Set Up Bluetooth Device from the Bluetooth icon menu.
Figure 2 If the Bluetooth menu doesn’t appear, you can set up a device in the Bluetooth preferences pane. (Turning on the Show Bluetooth status in the menu bar will put the menu there for next time you need to set up a device.)
- When the Bluetooth Setup Assistant window appears, read the Introduction screen and then click Continue.
- On the Select Device Type screen, choose either Mobile Phone or Any
Device (see Figure 3). I suggest trying the Mobile Phone option first; if that
setting doesn’t find your phone, go back and try Any Device. Click
Figure 3 Specify the type of device to which you’re connecting.
- Wait while the Bluetooth Setup Assistant looks for your phone. It should
appear by name in the list (see Figure 4). Select your phone in the list and
Figure 4 Your phone should appear in the list.
- Wait while the Bluetooth Setup Assistant "gathers information about the device." When the Continue button turns blue, click it.
- The Bluetooth Setup Assistant displays a passkey number in large type
(see Figure 5). At the same time, your phone should prompt you to enter a
number. Use your phone’s keypad to enter the passkey number that appears
on your Mac’s screen. Make sure that the Add to Trusted Device List check
box (or something like it) is turned on, and click OK.
Figure 5 The Bluetooth Setup Assistant displays the pairing number you’ll need to enter into your phone.
- A screen like the one in Figure 6 should appear. Make sure that the
"Access the Internet with your phone’s data connection" check
box is turned on, and then click Continue.
Figure 6 At this point, your computer and phone have become fast friends. Just tell the Bluetooth Setup Assistant how you expect to use the phone.