- Benefit 1: Facilitating Collaboration
- Benefit 2: Obtaining Descriptive Metadata
- Benefit 3: Enhancing Findability
- Benefit 4: Increasing Participation
- Benefit 5: Identifying Patterns
- Benefit 6: Augmenting Existing Classification Efforts
- Benefit 7: Sparking Innovation
- One More Thing: Align Your Efforts
Benefit 3: Enhancing Findability
Tagging can make information easier to find. In social bookmarking systems, for example, tags provide supplemental navigation for users. Each tag is another possible doorway to a resource or a jumping-off point to find related tags.
In some cases, tags can even improve searches. Yahoo’s MyWeb 2.0, a social bookmarking tool similar to del.icio.us, leverages people’s tags to provide them with more relevant search results.