- "Where are the Item and Content tools?"
- "I see the picture box tools, but where are the tools for text boxes?"
- "I can't find text leading!"
- "Why do I always get the wrong font and size when I start typing?"
- "I can't click on master page items!"
- "How am I supposed to link text boxes together without a Link tool?"
- "Why does creating or editing a color or style affect objects on my page?"
- "How do I resize, color, or adjust pictures?"
- "How do I get rid of my guides?"
- "Where is that XPress feature I always use?"
“I can’t click on master page items!”
If you put an object on a master page in QuarkXPress and then switch back to a document page, that object is immediately editable. This seems cool until you accidentally mess up your layout by accidentally changing one or more master page items. InDesign is different: It won’t even let you select a master page item unless you really intend to.
When you do need to select and edit a master page item, try this: Shift-Option-click/Shift-Alt-click on it. That releases it from the master page (it’s called overriding). Or, you can choose Override All Master Page Items from the Pages palette flyout menu to release all the items on a spread. See Chapter 16 for more information about this.
Note that you do not need to override master page items when you’re importing text or graphics into your document (see Chapters 19 and 28).