Launching Expression Media 2
As with other Windows or Mac applications, you can start Expression Media in several ways. Use any method that's convenient at the moment.
Launching Expression Media 2 on Windows
Do one of the following:
- Start button. Click the Start button on the left side of the Windows Taskbar and choose Microsoft Expression Media 2 from the All Programs menu. The All Programs subfolder in which Expression Media 2 is located depends on whether you installed the standalone version of the program or the full Expression Media Studio 2.
- Recent programs. If you've recently run Expression Media 2, you can click its name in the list above All Programs in the Start button menu (see Figure 1).
- Program icon. Open the folder in which Expression Media 2 is installed and click/double-click its program icon.
- Shortcut. If you've created a shortcut for the program on the desktop or in a folder, you can click/double-click its icon.
- Quick Launch icon. If you've added an Expression Media icon to the Quick Launch toolbar, click its icon.
- Catalog file. To launch Expression Media and open a particular catalog simultaneously, click/double-click the catalog's file icon.
Figure 1 If you've recently run Expression Media 2, you can launch it by clicking its name in the Start menu (Windows XP shown).
If you clicked/double-clicked a catalog file icon, the catalog opens when Expression Media 2 launches. Otherwise, an empty catalog named Catalog1 is created.
To create a Quick Launch icon (see Figure 2), drag a shortcut for the program into the Quick Launch toolbar. In Windows Vista, you can also right-click any instance of Expression Media 2 and choose Add to Quick Launch from the context menu that appears.
Figure 2 If you use Expression Media 2 regularly, add its icon to the Quick Launch toolbar.
If you run Expression Media often, pin it to the Start button menu so you can launch it without having to sift through the All Programs menu. Open the All Programs menu, right-click Microsoft Expression Media 2, and choose Pin to Start Menu from the context menu (see Figure 3).
Figure 3 Pinning Expression Media 2 to the top section of the Start menu.
Figure 4 Whether you click or double-click in Windows is determined by a setting in the Folder Options dialog box.
Launching Expression Media 2 on Macintosh
Do one of the following:
- Program icon. Select Applications in the sidebar of any open folder, open the Microsoft Expression Media 2 folder, and double-click Expression Media 2 or Expression Media 2.app (see Figure 5).
- Applications folder in the Dock (Leopard). If you're running Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard), click the Applications folder in the Dock. In the Microsoft Expression Media 2 folder, select Expression Media 2 or Expression Media 2.app.
- Alias. If you've created an alias (shortcut) to the program on the Desktop or in a folder, double-click the alias icon.
- Catalog file. To launch the program and open a particular catalog simultaneously, double-click the catalog's file icon.
Figure 5 One common way to launch Expression Media 2 is to double-click its name in the Applications folder.
If you launched Expression Media 2 by double-clicking a catalog file icon, the catalog opens. Otherwise, an empty catalog named Catalog-1 is created.
If you use Expression Media 2 regularly, you may find it more convenient to launch it by clicking a Dock icon. To create a Dock icon for Expression Media (or any other application), drag its program icon into the Dock (see Figure 6).
Figure 6 You can add an Expression Media 2 icon to the Dock.