- Formula Basics
- Summarizing Data Quickly
- Elements of Formulas
- Entering Formulas
- Determining the Order of Operations
- Understanding Cell References
- Using Cell References
- Understanding Comparison Operators
- Using Comparison Operators
- Understanding Functions
- Using Functions
- Copying and Moving Formulas
- Handling Errors
Using Cell References
When you build a formula, you don’t type the cell references yourself—Numbers inserts them for you when you select cells. A reference appears in the formula bar as a colored oval placeholder holding the name or reference-tab address of the cell(s). The color of each placeholder is coordinated to match the highlight color of the corresponding cells in the table . You can easily redefine any cell reference in your formula .
Selecting a formula cell adds color highlights to its referenced cells in the table. Here, cell D6 references the two cells to its left. Color-matching makes it clear which cells you’re using in the formula. Color highlighting appears only when you’re editing a formula.
Tap a cell reference in the formula bar to show selection handles in the corners of each block of referenced cells. To redefine a reference in the formula, drag the selection handles to expand or shrink the range, or drag the selection box itself to a new location.
To insert a cell reference in a formula:
- In the formula bar, position the insertion point where you want the reference to appear or, to replace an existing reference, tap its placeholder to select it.
- Do any of the following:
- To refer to a single cell, tap the cell.
- To refer to a range of cells, touch and hold a cell in a corner of the range and drag across the range.
- To refer to all the cells in a column, tap the column’s letter on the reference tab. To refer to multiple columns, touch and hold a letter and drag left or right .
- To refer to all the cells in a row, tap the row’s number on the reference tab. To refer to multiple rows, touch and hold a number and drag up or down.
- To refer to cells in a different table on the same sheet, tap the target table and select a reference as described above.
- To refer to cells in a table on a different sheet, tap the sheet tab, tap the table, and then select a reference as described above.