Get the Most out of Mail and Outlook.com with Your Microsoft Surface Tablet
The Mail, People, Calendar, and Messaging apps share account information. That means that if you enter your Gmail email account to add contacts to the People app, you will also be able to access the Gmail account in the Mail app. Of course, not all account information is shared across all apps. For example, the Messaging app doesn’t access Gmail accounts, so you can’t use the Messaging app on the tablet to have IM conversations with Gmail contacts. It can be a bit confusing, but the chapter for each app specifies supported accounts.
By visiting Outlook.com in a web browser, you can access information that allows you to do more with People, Mail, Calendar, Messaging, and SkyDrive. This chapter focuses on the Mail app and how it, along with People and Calendar, uses Outlook.com to do more on the tablet.
You can use the Mail app to manage multiple email accounts. It handles basic email functions (such as attachments), saves drafts, and has some editing features.
To add a Microsoft account
- Tap the Mail tile on the Start screen.
On the Add Your Microsoft Account screen, enter your Microsoft email address and password. Tap Save.
If you’ve already connected your Microsoft account to the People app, the mailbox for that email account appears when you open the Mail app .
- Mail accounts. A list of email accounts displays in this panel. Any folders for the mailboxes of accounts connected to the Mail app appear here as well.
- Email messages. A list of email messages displays here. Tap a folder to see the emails in that folder.
- Create an email. Tap the plus (+) button to start a new email.
- Sync. Tap this button to refresh the mailbox.
- Pin to Start. Tap this button to pin an email account’s tile to the Start screen.
To add another email account
You can add additional email accounts to the mailbox so you can view all your email accounts in one app.
Swipe in from the right of the screen and tap the Settings charm. Tap Accounts, and tap the Add an account link .
Adding an email account
- Tap an email account provider (Hotmail, Outlook, Google, AOL, Yahoo, or Other account).
- On the Add Your [Email Provider] Account screen, enter the email address and password for the selected account in the text boxes.
Tap Connect. The Mail app syncs with the account and creates new folders in the Mail accounts panel .
Email accounts in the Mail app
- Tap the account to see messages and folders from that account.
To manage and remove email accounts
- Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap the Settings charm, and tap Accounts.
- Tap the email account that you want to manage or remove (Hotmail, Outlook, Google, AOL, Yahoo, or Other). Options for that email account appear . Flick up and down the panel to see more options.
Managing email accounts
- Account name. Tap the text box, tap the X in the corner to delete the current name, and type a new name. This name appears as the email account name in the Mail app.
- Download new email. Tap the down arrow to choose when new email should be downloaded: as items arrive, every 15 minutes, every 30 minutes, hourly, or manually.
- Download email from. Tap the down arrow to choose whether to download email from the last 3 days, the last 7 days, the last 2 weeks, the last month, or any time.
- Content to sync. Tap the check boxes to choose what type of content from this email account syncs with the Mail, People, and Calendar apps: Email, Contacts, and/or Calendar. Note that all apps won’t be available for all email accounts.
- Automatically download external images. Drag the slider to choose whether or not the Mail app should download external images for this email account automatically. Drag the slider to turn this option on or off.
- Use an email signature. Add a signature to your emails. Tap the text box and type a message that you want to appear at the end of all emails sent from this account on the Surface tablet. Drag the slider to turn the feature on or off.
- Show Email notifications for this account. Drag the slider to turn Start screen notifications of new emails on or off.
- Remove account. Tap the All My Synced PCs button to remove the account from all Microsoft devices that access this account. Tap the This PC button to remove the email account from the Surface tablet .
Removing an email account