- Sep 23, 2013
- Adding Text
- Cutting, Copying, and Pasting Text
- Dragging and Dropping Text
- Using Paste Special
- Applying Headings
- Applying Character Formats
- Applying HTML Text Styles
- Using Preformatted Text
- Adding Line Breaks
- Indenting and Aligning Text with HTML
- Working with Lists
- Inserting Special Characters
- Working with Font Styles
- Using Web Fonts
- Adding Automatic Dates
- Finding and Replacing
- Finding Text with a Simple Search
- Performing Advanced Text Searches
- Finding and Replacing in Source Code
- Finding and Replacing with a Specific Tag
- Using Regular Expressions for Searching
- Checking Spelling
Using Paste Special
Dreamweaver’s Paste Special command in the Edit menu gives you a variety of options that control the way formatted content is pasted into Dreamweaver’s Design view.
You will probably use the Paste Special command most often when pasting in text from Microsoft Word or Excel to maintain the formatting that the text had in those programs . Text pasted in from Excel can appear in Dreamweaver as a formatted table, which saves you a lot of time and effort.
Paste Special will do a great job of maintaining the formatting from this Microsoft Word document.
The Paste Special options include:
Text only pastes just the text; paragraph marks and all formatting are stripped from the text .
This is the “Text only” version of the text from , with paragraph marks and formatting stripped out.
Text with structure pastes the text and maintains the structure (notably paragraphs, tabs, and lists) but eliminates other text formatting .
With the “Text with structure” option, the text and paragraph marks are there, but there’s no character formatting.
Text with structure plus basic formatting keeps the text and text structure and retains bold and italic formatting .
The “Text with structure plus basic formatting” option maintains bold and italic formatting.
Text with structure plus full formatting preserves the text, structure, and styles from the original document .
The final option, “Text with structure plus full formatting,” maintains all the formatting from the Word document.
To use Paste Special
Select the text you want to cut or copy.
The text will usually be in an application other than Dreamweaver.
- Cut or copy the text.
- Switch to Dreamweaver, and click to set the insertion point where you want the text to appear.
Choose Edit > Paste Special, or press Ctrl-Shift-V (Cmd-Shift-V).
The Paste Special dialog appears .
Choose the option you want from the Paste Special dialog.
- In the dialog, click the radio button next to the paste option you want.
The text pastes in according to the option you selected.