- Exercise-4-1 Applying the Grow preset
- Exercise-4-2 Growing into the current appearance
- Exercise-4-3 Growing, twisting, and unfolding objects
- Exercise-4-4 Applying a rotation preset
- Exercise-4-5 Creating custom rotations
- Exercise-4-6 Changing the rotation point
- Exercise-4-7 Setting a custom, external rotation point
- Exercise-4-8 Creating an animation proxy
Exercise-4-3 Growing, twisting, and unfolding objects
Scaling and rotating may seem very simple. But if you understand just a little math combined with a tiny bit of geometry, you can create some unique effects. (Don’t panic about the math and geometry. It’s really simple.)
The finished file for this exercise is Exercise-4-3-finished.indd.
Open the file Exercise-4-3-start.indt. This file has four flowers in flower pots (A). We’re going to set the growth options so that the flowers create different animation effects.
The first effect will be to have the cactus grow from the top of the flower pot.
Select the cactus and set the scale options in the Properties area to W: 0% and H: 0%. Change the Animate menu to To Current Appearance. (The Animate menu is not active until you make a change in the Properties area.) Change the proxy point from the middle to the bottom middle (B).
Use the EIP panel to preview the animation. The cactus grows from its bottom up.
The next effect will be to have the yellow tulip grow from its bottom-left corner.
Select the yellow tulip and set the properties options to the same amounts as in step 2. Don’t forget to change the Animate menu to To Current Appearance. Change the proxy point from the middle to the bottom left (C).
Use the EIP panel to preview the animation. The flower grows from the bottom-left corner point.
The next effect will unfold the purple flower horizontally into position.
- Select the purple flower. Click to set the Constrain Scale Value icon to the open position. This allows you to set different width and height scale values.
Set the height (H:) to 0%. Leave the width (W:) at 100%. Change the Animate menu to To Current Appearance. Set the proxy point to the bottom middle (D).
Use the EIP panel to preview the animation. The flower unfolds itself into position.
The final effect will fold the sunflower like a book into position.
Set the width (W:) to 0%, but leave the height (H:) at 100%. Change the Animate menu to To Current Appearance. Leave the proxy point in the middle (E).
Use the EIP panel to preview the animation. Leaving the height at 100% makes the object appear to fold open vertically into position.