Exercise 4.3 Use Automatic Software Update
In this exercise, you will use the automatic update feature of the Mac App Store to check for, download, and install updates for OS X. You will also see how to view installed software and updates.
Check Your App Store Preferences
- From the Apple menu, choose System Preferences.
Select the App Store preferences.
Notice that by default the system automatically downloads new updates in the background and then notifies you when they are ready.
Near the middle of the window, there is a line that either shows the last time updates were checked (and has a Check Now button) or indicates there are updates available (and has a Show Updates button).
Click the Check Now or Show Updates button.
The App Store application opens, and its Updates tab is selected. Note that you can also open the App Store application directly from the Apple menu.
Update Your Software
- Wait as the App Store checks for new software.
- If you see a message that says “No Updates Available,” your computer is up to date. Skip the rest of this section and proceed to “Check Installed Updates.”
Click the small triangle next to the Update All button. A pop-up menu appears, with options to install updates later.
- Click elsewhere to dismiss the pop-up menu.
- Decide which updates you want to install on your computer.
- If there is more than one update, you can click More to see a detailed list. Click the Update buttons for the updates you want to install, or click Update All if you want all available updates.
- If any of the updates are subject to license agreements, you are prompted to agree to them. Read the agreements, and if they are acceptable, click Agree.
If you are prompted to restart your computer, click Restart or Download & Restart.
If a dialog appears asking if you want to automatically update OS X, click Not Now to keep your current update preference.
- If the update restarted your computer, log back in to the Local Admin account. If you are prompted to sign in with your Apple ID, select “Don’t sign in,” click Continue, and then click Skip in the confirmation dialog.
- Reopen the App Store application and check for additional updates. Some updates must be installed in sequence, so you may have to repeat the update process several times.
- When all updates have been installed, quit the App Store and System Preferences.
Check Installed Updates
Hold down the Option key while you choose System Information from the Apple menu. Note that the System Information menu item appears only when the Option key is held down.
System Information opens and displays its report.
In the Software section of the sidebar, select Installations.
A list of installed software and updates appears, including the updates you just installed. You can select specific updates from the list to get more information about them.
- Quit System Information.