- Mar 24, 2006
- Small Open/Save Dialog Boxes
- Can't Disable Individual Login Items
- Desktop Doesn't Do Nested Folders
- Disappearing Sidebar
- No Auto-Fit Option for Finder Columns
- Finder Treats FTP Volumes as Read-Only
- Fax Modem Hidden in Odd PDF Button
- Missing Servers Stall Startup
- Finder Views Don't Update Immediately
- Nagging Dialog Boxes
9. Finder Views Don’t Update Immediately
The Finder used to always update as soon as a change was made to a file, but now that’s not always the case. If I’m viewing a folder’s contents in column mode, I can rename an item and often it remains in the wrong place instead of being properly sorted immediately. Sometimes the item is sorted after a few seconds’ delay, and other times I have to manually refresh by clicking another item.
Here’s another example. In the Finder, click the desktop and then choose View > Show View Options. Select the Show Item Info checkbox, which displays the size and free space for each mounted volume below or to the right of its icon in the Finder. However, this information isn’t updated as files are written and deleted from the volumes, which is odd because the correct information is displayed in the Info window (see Figure 9).
Figure 9 The Finder continues showing the wrong amount of free disk space even though the Info window displays the correct amount available.