A Macintosh computer can read data from, or write data to, a wide range of storage media, including:
- Hard disks— high capacity magnetic media.
- CD-ROM, CD-R, DVD, and DVD-R discs— high capacity, removable optical media.
- Zip, or other disks or cartridges— high capacity, removable magnetic media.
- Floppy disks or diskettes— low capacity, removable magnetic media.
To use storage media, it must be:
- Mounted— inserted, attached, or other-wise accessible to your computer.
- Formatted or initialized— specially prepared for use with your computer.
All of these things are covered in this section.