- About this lesson
- Getting started
- Creating a new Web site
- Adding files to the Web site
- Creating a component to be used as a navigation bar
- Designing the home page
- Creating a custom color palette and adding color to text
- Adding a component to an existing Web page
- Updating the custom color palette
- Designing a Web page using layers
- Editing a component
- Previewing in GoLive
- Review questions
- Review answers
Adding files to the Web site
You can add Web pages, media files, and other resource files to an existing Web site. To add files from other locations to your site, it's recommended that you use the GoLive Import command or drag the files into the Files tab of the site window. With either of these methods, GoLive copies the files to the site without removing the original files.
Now you'll import a folder of image files into the site.
- If it isn't already selected, select the site window. Also, make sure that the Files tab of the site window is selected.
- Choose File > Import > Files to Site.
- Select the images folder in Lessons/Lesson03/03Start/. Click Open or Choose.
The images folder is copied to the site's root folder (web-content) and appears in the Files tab of the site window.
- In the site window, click the plus sign (Windows) or the arrow (Mac OS) next to the images folder to display the folder's
The images folder contains several Web-formatted images in GIF that are ready to be added to pages.
Now you'll add a new folder to the site for storing additional pages.
- Choose Site > New > Folder.
A new folder is added to the site's root folder and appears in the Files tab of the site window. Now you'll rename the folder.
- Type pages to rename the folder, and click in the blank space outside the folder to deselect it.
Now you'll import an existing page to the site. Later in this lesson, you'll update the design of the page.
- Make sure that no folders are selected in the site window, and choose File > Import > Files to Site. (If you accidentally import a file while a folder is selected in the site window, the file will be imported to that folder rather than being imported at the root level.) The Import Files to Site command isn't available unless the Files tab in the site window is active.
- Select the file appraise.html in Lessons/Lesson03/03Start/. Click Open (Windows) or Choose (Mac OS).
- In the Copy Files dialog box, click OK to copy the file and update the site.
The appraise.html file is added to the site's root folder and appears in the Files tab of the site window. Now you'll move the appraise.html file to the pages folder.
- In the site window, select the appraise.html file, and drag it to the pages folder. Click OK in the Move Files dialog box.
- Click the plus sign (Windows) or the arrow (Mac OS) next to the pages folder in the site window to display the folder's contents.
Now that you have finished adding files to the site, you can begin designing its pages. You'll start by creating a component for a navigation bar that you'll later add to each page in the site.