Adobe Acrobat X Classroom in a Book: About PDF Portfolios
The accompanying files for this lesson can be downloaded here.
About PDF Portfolios
In this lesson, you’ll do the following:
- Quickly and easily combine files of different types into one PDF Portfolio (Acrobat Pro only).
- Customize the look and feel of a PDF Portfolio.
- Share a PDF Portfolio.
- Search a PDF Portfolio.
- Modify an existing PDF Portfolio.
- Combine files into a single PDF file without creating a PDF Portfolio.
This lesson will take approximately 45 minutes to complete. Copy the Lesson07 folder onto your hard drive if you haven’t already done so.
Figure 7.1 A PDF Portfolio brings together multiple documents—in PDF or other formats—into a coherent document. You can customize how the documents are presented to viewers.
About PDF Portfolios
In Acrobat X Pro, you can assemble multiple files into an integrated PDF Portfolio. You can combine files of different formats, created in different applications, without converting them to PDF. For example, you could assemble all the documents for a specific project, including text documents, email messages, spreadsheets, CAD drawings, and PowerPoint presentations. The original files retain their individual identities, but are still part of the PDF Portfolio file. Each component file can be opened, read, edited, and formatted without affecting the other documents in the PDF Portfolio.
PDF Portfolios offer several advantages over files merged into an ordinary PDF file:
- You can add and remove component documents easily.
- You can quickly preview component files without having to pause for Open or Save dialog boxes.
- You can edit individual files within the PDF Portfolio without affecting the other files. You can also edit non-PDF files in their native applications from within a PDF Portfolio; any changes you make are saved to the file within the PDF Portfolio.
- You can share the PDF Portfolio with others and be sure they receive all the component parts.
- You can sort component files by categories that you can customize.
- You can print one, all, or any combination of components in the PDF Portfolio.
- You can search individual component documents or the entire PDF Portfolio, including non-PDF component files.
- You can add non-PDF files to an existing PDF Portfolio without converting them to PDF.
- You can make changes to component files without affecting the original source files, and the source files of a PDF Portfolio are not changed when you create the PDF file.