About Storage Capacity
Through a built-in control panel, Mac OS X provides an at-a-glance measure of how much space you've used on your iDisk—and how much is available for you to store movies, pictures, Web pages, and other files.
Your .Mac account comes with 250 MB of online storage space, and both your iDisk and .Mac Mail count toward that 250 MB limit. By default, this storage is divided between your iDisk and your e-mail account at 125 MB each, but you have control over how that space is allocated. If you find that either your iDisk or your e-mail account needs more space, you are free to change their storage allotments.
If you're running up against the 250 MB limit, and both your iDisk and e-mail accounts are full, you have two choices: reduce the amount of data you have stored on your .Mac account, or buy more space. While conservation is laudable (even storage-space conservation), sometimes the only thing for cramped quarters is to get a bigger place. You can increase your .Mac storage space to 1 GB for $49.95 per year.
To check iDisk usage
- From the Apple menu, choose System Preferences. The System Preferences window opens.
- In the Internet & Network section, click the .Mac icon. The .Mac preferences pane opens.
- Click the iDisk tab.
The iDisk preferences pane opens. At the top, it displays a gauge that indicates how much iDisk space you've used and how much you have available (
). It also attaches numbers to these figures in the form of megabytes currently used and total capacity of your iDisk.
Figure 3.55 The iDisk preferences pane is a handy way to see at a glance how much storage you've used.
To reallocate .Mac storage
- Go to www.mac.com and log in to your .Mac account (
Figure 3.56 To make changes to your iDisk allocation, you first need to log in to .Mac using a Web browser. Type your .Mac member name and password in the respective fields.
- In the lower left corner of the page, click the Account link (
Figure 3.57 Click the Account link to access your .Mac Account Settings page.
Figure 3.58 Your main .Mac Account Settings page contains entry points to let you change personal information, credit card information, and password settings, and to manage accounts. You can also change the allocation of iDisk storage.
- In the lower right corner, click the Storage Settings button. The Storage Settings page opens.
- From the Manage Your Storage pop-up menu, choose a ratio for dividing your storage between Email and iDisk (
Figure 3.59 You can choose new allocation amounts by selecting from the "Please select a new level of service" pop-up menu.
- Click Save. Your e-mail and iDisk storage allotments automatically reflect the adjusted settings.