- Dec 28, 2007
- Importing a PowerPoint Presentation
- Animating the Title Slide
- Cleaning Up a Chart
- Enhancing a Chart
- Animating a Chart
- Enhancing a Table
- Animating a Bar Chart
- Animating a Pie Chart
- Changing the Style of a Chart
- Adding Content from a Word Document
- Adding Comments to a Presentation
- Rehearsing the Presentation
- Creating a Self-Running Slideshow
- Lesson Review
Changing the Style of a Chart
Not only can you change the style of a chart to make it appear 3D, but you can also change its entire method of charting. By switching the way that the data is presented, you can make the data easier for your audience to understand.
Cleaning Up a Restyled Chart
Because changing the charting method results in an entirely different look for a slide, you will often have to make many adjustments to improve its appearance.
- In the slide navigator, select slide 6.
- Select the chart on the canvas.
- Set the chart type to the 3D area chart. It’s the seventh one in the second column.
The chart needs to be reset to the default style.
- Choose Format > Reapply Master to Selection.
The chart data needs to be reordered and formatted.
- Select the Chart Inspector and click the 3D Scene button.
- Click the Edit Data button.
The Chart Data Editor opens.
- Click the column heads and reorder them so the years read 2005, 2006, and 2007 from left to right. Close the Chart Data Editor.
- Increase the depth of the chart by dragging the Chart Depth slider to the right.
- In the 3D Scene pane of the Chart Inspector, adjust the viewing angle of the chart to taste.
- Shift-click the legend so both the chart and legend are selected.
- In the Format Bar, change the font to Arial Narrow, change the style to Bold, and set the point size to 24.
- If needed, adjust the borders of the legend so it fits on a single line.
- Drag the legend to center it on the page using the alignment guides.
- Size the chart so it fills up the slide’s area effectively.
If needed, to resize, drag the selection handles at the edges and corners of the chart.
- Change the colors in the area chart using the Graphic Inspector.
Use the same techniques as earlier in the lesson and match colors to the logo.
Animating an Area Chart
Let’s look at one more type of animation. This one gives the illusion of the data area growing to its current state.
- In the Build Inspector, click Build In. Then choose the following options:
- Effect—3D Grow
- Delivery—By Series
- Duration—1.50 s
- Choose 2 from the “Build from” menu; leave the “Build to” menu set to Last.
- Click the More Options button.
- From the Build Order list, select Chart Series.
- For Start Build, choose “Automatically after prior build.”
- For Delay, choose 1.5 s.
- Select the Slide Inspector and click Transition. Then choose the following options:
- Effect—3D Effects: Page Flip
- Duration—2.00 s
- Press Command-S to save your document.