- Why use Camera Raw?
- Choosing preferences for opening photos
- Opening photos into Camera Raw
- The Camera Raw tools
- Cropping and straightening photos
- Choosing default workflow settings
- Using the Camera Raw tabs
- Using the Basic tab
- Using the Tone Curve tab
- Using the HSL/Grayscale tab
- Using the Detail tab
- Adding a grain texture
- Using the Adjustment Brush
- Retouching a photo
- Saving and applying Camera Raw settings
- Synchronizing Camera Raw settings
- Converting, opening, and saving Camera Raw files
- Opening and placing photos into Photoshop as Smart Objects
Saving and applying Camera Raw settings
After carefully choosing custom settings for a photo in Camera Raw, you’ll be happy to know that you can save those settings as a preset, which you can apply to other photos, such as photos from the same shoot that need the same or similar corrections. You can apply a preset to a single photo via Camera Raw, to multiple photos via Camera Raw (see the next page), or to multiple selected thumbnails in Bridge via the Edit > Develop Settings submenu (see the tip below).
To save Camera Raw settings as a preset
- With your corrected photo open in Camera Raw, choose Save Settings from the Settings menu. The Save Settings dialog opens. A
- Check which categories of settings you want saved in the preset. Or to filter out the number of checked boxes, choose a category (tab name) from the Subset menu, then recheck any boxes, if needed.
- Click Save. A different Save Settings dialog opens (yes, this is confusing). Enter a name (preferably one that describes the function of the preset), keep the .xmp extension and the location as the Settings folder, then click Save.
- The saved settings preset is now available in the Presets tab for any photo (see the instructions below).
You can apply a user-defined preset (saved collection of settings) to any photo in Camera Raw.
To apply a Camera Raw preset
- With a photo that needs correction open in Camera Raw, do either of the following:
- Click the Presets tab, then click a preset name.
- From the Apply Preset submenu on the Settings menu, choose a preset.
- To apply a Camera Raw preset to one or more selected photos in Bridge, right-click one of the selected thumbnails, then from the Develop Settings menu, choose the desired preset.