To add an artistic border to an image:
- Open a one-layer document, then click the Background on the Layers panel.
- Choose the Rectangular Marquee tool (M or Shift-M), then draw a selection marquee. Position the marquee where you want the border to be.A
- On the Options bar, click Refine Edge.
- In the Refine Edge dialog, choose On White view (W), then adjust the Radius, Smooth, Contrast, and Shift Edge values to roughen the edges.B
- From the Output To menu, choose New Layer with Layer Mask, then click OK.C
- Click the Background, then press Shift-Backspace/Shift-Delete. In the Fill dialog, choose Use: White, Mode: Normal, and Opacity: 100%, then click OK.
Using Hand-Painted Frames in a Montage
A To create this Paris montage, we applied a hand-painted border to each image separately in its own file, using the technique described on the preceding page. We dragged each image layer into a larger document, which contains a photo of burlap as the Background image. To complete the composition, we scaled and moved — and rotated two of — the layers.