Compose Mail Messages
If only we could sit back in lounge chairs, feet propped on a table, and read email all day long like the people in Apple’s iPad commercials. Alas, email demands interaction, so at some point you’ll find yourself writing new messages and replying to existing ones.
Create a new mail message
In Mail, do the following:
- Tap the New Message () button. An empty message appears.
In the To field, begin typing the name of the person you want to send the email to. Mail displays a list of possible contacts (Figure 4.15); tap one to enter it.
Figure 4.15 List of suggested mail recipients
You can also tap the Add () button to view a popover containing all your contacts; scroll or use the search field to locate a person.
If you want to copy other people on the message, tap the Cc/Bcc, From field. Enter addresses into the Cc (carbon copy) or Bcc (blind carbon copy) fields.
If you prefer to send the message from another account, tap the From field and choose one from the popover that appears.
- Tap the Subject field and enter a short title. (Don’t leave it blank; many mail servers flag messages with empty Subject lines as spam.)
- Type or dictate your message into the main field.
If you want to add minimal formatting—bold, italic, or underline—select the range of text to alter. In the options bar that appears, tap the Format button and then choose which style to use (Figure 4.16).
Figure 4.16 Writing the email message
To add a photo or video from the Photos app to the message, touch and hold in the message field for a second to bring up the options bar and choose Insert Photo or Video. You can then pick an image from your library.
Mail grabs the original photo for you, but if the size is too big for your liking, tap the Cc/Bcc field, which reveals an Image Size field; tap a size (Small, Medium, Large, Actual Size) to compress the image.
When you’re finished, tap the Send button.
If you’re not ready to dispatch the message, tap the Cancel button and then tap Save Draft to store the email in the Drafts folder for editing and sending later.
Reply to a mail message or forward it
When a message requires a response, reply to the sender:
- With a message open, tap the Reply/Forward () button.
- Tap Reply in the popover that appears. A new outgoing message is created, with the contents of the previous message quoted at the bottom of the message area.
- Type your reply and then tap Send.