Using the Navigation Pane
As mentioned, the Office 2010 Navigation Pane replaces the Document Map from earlier versions of Word. In addition to quickly jumping to important document sections by clicking a thumbnail or text heading, you can do the following:
- Execute Finds to locate text in the document that marks the spot to which you want to go
- Rearrange document sections by dragging their headings in the Navigation Pane
- Search for other material, such as tables, graphics, equations, footnotes/endnotes, and reviewer comments
To open/close the Navigation Pane:
- To open the Navigation Pane, switch to the View tab and click the Navigation Pane check box in the Show group (see Figure 4.18), click the Find icon in the Editing group on the Home tab, or press .
- To close the pane, click its close box (X) or remove the check mark from the Navigation Pane check box in the Show group.
To go to a particular page or heading:
To go to a heading, click the Headings tab in the Navigation Pane. In the list that appears (Figure 4.45), click the desired heading.
Figure 4.45 You can jump directly to important headings.
Only paragraphs to which you've applied a Heading style (such as Heading 1, Heading 2, and so on) are listed in the pane. To learn about Word styles, see Chapter 5.
- To go to a page, click the Pages tab in the Navigation Pane. Click the thumbnail of the desired page (Figure 4.46).
Figure 4.46 You can also display pages as graphic thumbnails.
To perform a text search:
Optional: To set specific search options (such as Match case or Find whole words only), click the down arrow to the right of the search box and choose Options from the drop-down menu.
The Find Options dialog box appears (Figure 4.47). Set options and click OK.
Figure 4.47 You can set the same search options that appear in the Find and Replace dialog box (see ).
- Type search text in the box at the top of the Navigation Pane. Word searches as you type. Matches are highlighted in the document. The contents of the Navigation Pane depend on the tab that's selected:
- To go to a match, do any of the following:
- In the Navigation Pane, click a heading, thumbnail, or text result.
- Click the up (Previous) or down (Next) icons in the Navigation Pane.
- Press to go to the next match.