Setting Display Options
In addition to using the zoom controls to change the magnification (see "Setting the Magnification" in Chapter 2), you can show or hide the following elements in the document window by clicking check boxes in the Show group on the View tab (Figure 4.18):
- Ruler. Use the ruler to position objects, set paragraph indents, and set tab stops.
- Gridlines. When enabled, each page is overlaid with a visible grid (Figure 4.19). Placed objects automatically snap to the nearest grid intersection.
- Navigation Pane. In Word 2010, the Navigation Pane (Figure 4.20) replaces the Document Map. Use the Navigation Pane to move directly to a specific document page, heading, or search result. For instructions, see "Using the Navigation Pane," later in this chapter.
Figure 4.18 Click check boxes in the Show group to enable or disable display options.
Figure 4.19 Gridlines can make it easier to place objects.
Figure 4.20 Use the Navigation Pane to quickly move to a desired spot in a document.
To show/hide rulers:
Do either of the following:
- On the View tab in the Show group, click the Ruler check box.
- Click the View Ruler icon at the top of the vertical scroll bar (see Figure 4.1).
To show/hide gridlines:
- On the View tab in the Show group, click the Gridlines check box.
To show/hide the Navigation Pane:
- On the View tab in the Show group, click the Navigation Pane check box. To switch among viewing document headings, page thumbnails, and search results, click a tab at the top of the Navigation Pane. To close the pane, click its close box (X) or remove its check mark from the Show group (Figure 4.18).