- Types of Frames
- Creating Basic Shapes
- Selecting Objects
- Moving Objects
- Replicating Objects
- Resizing Objects
- Using the Transform Tools
- Using the Transform Panel
- Using the Transform Commands
- Using the Arrange Commands
- Aligning Objects
- Smart Dimensions; Smart Spacing
- Using the Gap Tool
- Grouping and Pasting Into Objects
- Using the Control Panel for Objects
- Using the Measure Tool
- Using the Info Panel with Objects
- Locking Objects
- Selecting Frames
The simplest way to position an object on a page is to drag it to a new position, but you can also move objects by using menu and keyboard commands, or by typing specific numerical locations into a dialog box, as you’ll learn later in this chapter.
To move an object by dragging:
- Choose the Selection tool in the Tools panel.
- Click the object you want to move. A bounding box with eight handles appears around the object. This indicates the object is selected.
- Position the Selection tool on the edges of the bounding box (but not on the handles of the bounding box).
- Drag to move the object. If you drag quickly, you will see only a bounding box preview of the object being moved .
Press and pause for a moment before you drag the object. The pause gives InDesign enough time to let you see a preview of the object as you move it .
You can also move an object more precisely. One way to do this is with the Move command in the Transform menu.
To use the Move command:
- Select the object or objects.
- Choose Object > Transform > Move. This opens the Move dialog box .
- Use the Horizontal and Vertical fields to move the object along those axes.
- Use the Distance field to move the object an absolute distance.
- Use the Angle field to set the angle along which the object moves.
- Click OK to move the original object.
Click Copy to create a duplicate of the object in the new position.
To copy an object as you drag:
- Hold the Opt/Alt key before you start the move.
- Move the object as described on the opposite page. A double-headed arrow indicates that a copy is being created .
- Release the mouse button. The copy appears in the new position.