Updating the NEX-6’s Firmware
I know that you want to get shooting, but having the proper firmware can affect the way the camera operates. It can fix problems as well as improve operation, so you should probably take care of it sooner rather than later. Updating your camera’s firmware is something that the manual completely omits, yet it can change the entire behavior of your camera’s operating system and functions. The firmware of your camera is the set of computer operating instructions that controls how your camera functions. Updating this firmware is a great way to not only fix little bugs but also gain access to new functionality. You will need to check out the information at Sony Support (www.esupport.sony.com) to review how a firmware update will affect your camera, but it is always a good idea to be working with the most up-to-date firmware version available. Like most things Sony, the website is a bit menu heavy, but once you are on the home page, click the Drivers & Software button and follow the instructions to get to your camera model.
Checking the camera’s current firmware version
- Press Menu and navigate to the Setup submenu.
- Rotate the Control wheel until you highlight Version under the Main Settings section.
- Press soft key C to select Version. You will see the current version numbers for the camera and lens. If these versions are not the latest ones listed on the Sony Support website, follow the steps in the next section to load the latest version.
At the time of this writing, the current version of the firmware for the NEX-6 is 1.00 for the camera and 01 for the lens/mount adapter. Make sure you check the Sony Support webpage often for any updates, and then follow the directions below for updating your camera.
Updating the firmware
- Access the Sony Support website (www.esupport.sony.com), click Drivers & Software, and select your camera model.
- Once you are on your model’s page, click the Drivers & Software tab. Choose your computer’s operating system from the pull-down menu, and select Firmware from the resulting list (keep in mind that if there is no firmware update available for your camera, the Firmware item will not appear in the list).
- After you click Firmware, a summary of the update will appear, as well as a button to download it. Don’t go directly to the download. Instead, click the update itself.
- In the next screen, you will be provided very detailed instructions on how to prepare your camera for the update and how to download and install it. The update that you download will contain the installation software as well, so it is important that you follow these instructions carefully.