- Types of Frames
- Creating Basic Shapes
- Selecting Objects
- Moving Objects
- Replicating Objects
- Resizing Objects
- Using the Transform Tools
- Using the Transform Panel
- Using the Transform Commands
- Using the Arrange Commands
- Aligning Objects
- Smart Dimensions; Smart Spacing
- Using the Gap Tool
- Grouping and Pasting Into Objects
- Using the Measure Tool
- Using the Info Panel with Objects
- Locking Objects
- Selecting Frames
Using the Measure Tool
There are many places where you can find the numerical sizes of items. But what if you want to measure the distance to another item? That’s where the Measure tool is so helpful.
To measure distances using the Measure tool:
Choose Window > Info to open the Info panel.
Click the Measure tool in the Tools panel . The Measure tool is in the flyout menu under the Eyedropper tool.
The Measure tool in the Tools panel.
Place the Measure tool on the start point and drag to the end point. A measuring line appears on the page . The Info panel displays the following attributes :
- Horizontal position displays the X coordinate of the first point in the line or whichever point is then moved.
- Vertical position displays the Y coordinate of the first point in the line or whichever point is then moved.
- Distance shows the length of the line.
- Width shows the width of the bounding box that would enclose the line.
- Height shows the height of the bounding box that would enclose the line.
- Angle shows the angle on which the line was drawn.
Drag the Measure tool to measure the distance between two points.
The measurements displayed in the Info panel for the measuring line drawn with the Measure tool.
Once you have drawn a measuring line, you can move it to other areas of the page.
To move a measuring line:
- With the Measure tool still selected, position the cursor over the measuring line.
Drag the line to a new position .
Drag the line segment of the measuring line to move it to a new position.
You can also change the start or end points of the measuring line.
To reposition the points of the measuring line:
- With the Measure tool still selected, position the cursor over either point in the measuring line.
- Drag the point to a new position.
You can also extend a second line out from the origin of the measuring line to create an electronic protractor to measure angles.
To measure angles:
- Drag the first line with the Measure tool.
Hold the Opt/Alt key and move the Measure tool back to the origin of the first line. An angle cursor appears .
The angle cursor indicates that you are about to create a second measuring line.
Drag to create a second line extending out from the origin point . The Info panel displays the distance of the second line, as well as the angle between the measuring lines .
Two measuring lines let you measure angles with the Measure tool.
The Info panel display for two measuring lines.