- Creating Text Frames
- Typing Text
- Selecting Text
- Moving and Deleting Text
- Using the Character Palette
- Setting the Typeface and Point Size
- Styling Text
- Setting Line and Character Spacing
- Applying Text Distortions
- Setting the Language
- Applying Paragraph Formatting
- Setting Alignment and Indents
- Inserting a Manual Indent
- Setting Paragraph Effects
- Working with Hidden Characters
- Using the Glyphs Palette
- Working with Text Flow
- Setting Text Frame General Controls
- Using the Control Palette for Text
- Using Special Text Characters
The simplest way to select text is to use the mouse.
To select text using the mouse:
- Press and drag across the text. The highlight indicates which text is being selected.
Like other programs, InDesign has special techniques to select words, lines, and paragraphs with the mouse.
To select a single word:
To select a single line:
To select a paragraph:
- If Triple Click to Select a Line is turned off, triple-click within the paragraph .
If Triple Click to Select a Line is turned on, quadruple-click in the paragraph.
To select all the text in a frame or story:
- If Triple Click to Select a Line is turned off, quadruple-click within any paragraph.
If Triple Click to Select a Line is turned on, quintuple-click in any paragraph.
If you spend a lot of time typing and modifying text, you should learn the following techniques for selecting text.
To select text using keyboard shortcuts:
- Use the following keyboard commands to select text using the keyboard:
Shift key and tap the left or right arrow key
Shift key and tap the up or down arrow key
One line of text. Repeat to select additional lines.
Cmd/Ctrl+Shift keys and tap the left or right arrow key
One word and the space following it.
Cmd/Ctrl+Shift keys and tap the up or down arrow key
Shift key and tap the Home or End key
All the text to the beginning or end of a line.
Cmd/Ctrl+Shift keys and tap the Home or End key
All the text to the beginning or end of a text frame or story.
All the text within an entire text frame or story.
- Repeat any of the above commands to select additional text.