- Creating a New Song
- Importing Audio into the Arrange Window
- Importing MIDI into the Arrange Window
- Zooming and Magnifying
- Selecting with the Arrow Tool
- Rubber-Band Selecting
- Using the Cycle Mode
- Using the Skip Cycle Mode
- Dividing Regions
- Moving and Copying Regions
- Naming Regions
- Hiding Tracks (Logic Pro Only)
- Using the Catch Function
- Using Scroll in Play
- Using Key Commands
- What You've Learned
Using the Skip Cycle Mode
The Skip Cycle mode is like the Cycle mode inverted: Instead of cycling continuously through the cycle Region, the Skip Cycle mode jumps right over the Region specified in the Locator display. In fact, to set up the Skip Cycle mode, you enter the left and right locator positions in reverse! In Cycle mode, the left locator is always earlier in the song than the right locator. In Skip Cycle mode, the left locator is always later in the song than the right one.
Think of it this way: In both Cycle and Skip Cycle modes, the SPL jumps from the right locator to the left one. In Cycle mode the right locator comes after the left, so the SPL jumps from the right locator back to the left locator earlier in the song. In Skip Cycle mode, the right locator comes before the left, so the SPL jumps from the right locator forward to the left locator later in the song. By jumping forward in the song, you skip a section of the song's content. Clear as mud? Let's do a little practice to drive this concept home.
- In the Transport's Locator display, double-click the left locator, type 9, and press Return.
The left locator is set to the beginning of bar 9.
- In the Transport's Locator display, double-click the right locator, type 5, and press Return.
The right locator is set to the beginning of bar 5, which is earlier in the song than the left locator. In the Bar Ruler, notice how the cycle Region's thick highlight has been replaced by thin one. This thin Region defines a Skip Cycle Region.
- Play the song from bar 1.
The song plays, but skips right over bars 5 through 9!
- Press the spacebar to stop the song.
- To turn off the Skip Cycle mode, click once in the middle of the cycle Region (this does exactly the same thing as clicking
the Cycle button or pressing /).
The cycle Region's highlight disappears, and the Skip Cycle mode is turned off. A quick glance at the Transport's Cycle button shows that it is no longer activated.