- Displaying Information in the Project Panel
- Finding Items in a Project
- Sorting Footage in the Project Panel
- Organizing Footage in Folders
- Renaming and Removing Items
- Proxies and Placeholders
- Viewing Footage
- Opening Footage in the Original Application
- The Footage Panel
- Cueing Motion Footage
- Magnifying an Image
- Viewing Safe Zones and Grids
- Rulers and Guides
- Viewing Transparency
- Correcting for Pixel Aspect Ratios
Sorting Footage in the Project Panel
By default, items in the Project panel are sorted by name, but you can sort the list by an assortment of other criteria, such as file type, size, duration, and so on. You can hide the column headings you don't want to use and rearrange their order. You can even assign a custom heading.
To sort footage items in the Project panel:
- In the Project panel, click a heading panel to sort the footage items according to the name, label, type, size, duration, file path, date, or comment ( Figure 3.7 ).
Figure 3.7 Click a heading panel to sort the items according to the information under the heading.
To hide or display a heading panel in the Project panel:
- In the Project panel, Ctrl-click (Mac) or right-click (Windows) a heading panel. A contextual menu appears.
- Choose an option:
- To hide the selected heading panel, choose Hide This ( Figure 3.8 ). (This choice isn't available for the Name heading panel.)
- To hide any heading panel, choose Columns and a heading panel name to unselect it ( Figure 3.9 ).
- To show a hidden heading panel, choose Columns and a heading panel name to select it.
Figure 3.8 Choose Hide This to hide the selected heading panel.
Figure 3.9 Unselect a heading name (in this case, the Type column).
Figure 3.10 The heading and the column beneath it are hidden from view.
To reorder headings in the Project panel:
- If necessary, resize the Project panel and make sure it displays the headings you want to rearrange.
- Drag the heading panel(s) to the right or left to change the relative position of the heading columns (
Figure 3.11 Drag the entire heading panel (in this case, the Size column) to the right or left…
Figure 3.12 …to change its relative position in the Project panel. Here, the Size column has been moved to the left of the Type column.
To give the Comment heading panel a custom name:
- If the Comment heading panel isn't visible, make it visible using the techniques described earlier.
- In the Project panel, Ctrl-click (Mac) or right-click (Windows) the Comment heading panel. A contextual menu appears.
- Choose Rename This (
). The Choose Name dialog box appears.
Figure 3.13 In the Comment heading panel's contextual menu, choose Rename This to give the heading a custom name.
- Enter a custom name (
Figure 3.14 In the Choose Name dialog box, enter a custom name.
- Click OK to close the dialog box.
The custom heading panel appears with the name you specified (
Figure 3.15 The Comment field uses the name you specify.
To enter information under the Comment or custom heading:
- If the Comment or custom heading panel of the Project panel isn't visible, make it visible using the techniques described above.
- In the same row as an item in the Project panel, click below the Comment or custom heading. A text field and cursor appear.
- Enter a comment for the corresponding footage item, and press Return (Mac) or Enter (Windows) (
Figure 3.16 Click in the field under the Comment (or custom) heading to enter information.