Reviewing Images in Lightroom 2
It’s a good policy to spend some time reviewing newly imported images. A little time spent sorting and organizing photos at this stage will make it much easier to manage and work with your growing image library. In the Library module you can inspect and compare the images that you’ve just imported; then sort, mark, and group them so that they are easy to find when you need them.
In this lesson you’ll become familiar with using different tools and techniques for reviewing your images and navigating through your photo catalog:
- Working in the different Library module views.
- Navigating through your catalog.
- Using the Navigator panel.
- Comparing photos.
- Flagging rejects and deleting images.
- Using the Quick Collection.
- Converting and clearing the Quick Collection.
- Creating Stacks.
- Hiding the Filmstrip and adjusting its size.
- Applying the Filmstrip Source Filters.
- Rearranging photos in the Grid view.
You’ll probably need between one and two hours to complete all the projects in this lesson.
This lesson assumes that you are already familiar with the Lightroom workspace and with moving between the different modules. If you find that you need more background information as you go, refer to Lightroom Help or the previous lessons in this book.
Before you begin, make sure that you have correctly copied the Lessons folder from the CD in the back of this book onto your computer’s hard disk and created the LR2CIB Library Catalog file. See “Copying the Classroom in a Book files” and “Creating a catalog file for working with this book” on page 3.
- Start Lightroom.
In the Adobe Photoshop Lightroom - Select Catalog dialog box, make sure the file LR2CIB Library Catalog.lrcat is selected under Catalog Location, and then click Continue.
- If the Back Up Catalog dialog box appears, click Skip Now.
Lightroom will open in screen mode and workspace module that were active when you last quit. If necessary, click Library in the Module Picker to switch to the Library module.
First you’ll import the Lesson 4 images into the Lightroom library.
Importing images into the library
- In the Library module, choose File > Import Photos From Disk.
In the Import Photos Or Lightroom Catalog dialog box, navigate to the Lessons folder you copied into the LR2CIB folder on your hard disk. Select the Lesson 4 folder, and then click Import All Photos In Selected Folder (Windows) / Choose (Mac OS).
- In the Import Photos dialog box, make sure the Show Preview option in the lower left corner of the dialog box is activated so you can see thumbnail images of the photos you’re about to import. For this exercise, leave all eleven photos selected.
Choose the option Add Photos To Catalog Without Moving from the File Handling menu. Choose None from both the Develop Settings menu and the Metadata menu. Type Lesson 4 in the Keywords text box, choose Minimal from the Initial Previews menu, and then click Import.
The eleven photos—images of New York architecture—appear in the Grid view of the Library module as well as in the Filmstrip.