Sharing and Importing Digital IDs
To open a document digitally signed by someone else, you need a copy of his or her digital certificate, called a trusted identity. Choose Advanced > Manage Trusted Identities to open the Manage Trusted Identities dialog box. Your identities list in the dialog box can be displayed as contacts or certificates: A contact is the file data format (FDF) file exchanged via an email request; a certificate is the public key included in an encrypted document.
There are several important tasks you can perform in the Manage Trusted Identities dialog box:
- Click Add Contacts to open a dialog box in which you can select, search, or browse for contacts and certificates on your computer.
- Click Request Contact to open a dialog box in which you can address a request to the person from whom you'd like to receive a contact.
- Click Edit Trust to open the Edit Certificate Trust dialog box and change the policy features assigned to a specific contact.
- Click Export to open the Data Exchange File-Exporting Contact Information wizard. Step through the wizard and specify the destination (email or export), add an optional digital signature, choose a storage location, and review the results. Click Finish to exit the wizard and export the data.
- Click Delete to remove a selected contact or certificate.
- Click Show Certificate to display the certificate contents for a selected contact or certificate name.