- Using Control Panel
- Setting the Window Color
- Turning Off Aero
- Setting the Desktop Background
- Setting the Screen Saver
- Setting the Desktop Theme
- Configuring the Monitor
- Configuring the Mouse
- Configuring the Keyboard
- Configuring Sound and Audio Devices
- Setting the Date and Time
- Localizing Your System
- Accommodating Disabled Users
- Using Speech Recognition
- Using Alternative Mouse Behavior
- Conserving Power
- Managing Fonts
- Managing Visual Effects and Performance
- Getting General System Information
Using Alternative Mouse Behavior
The mouse behavior described in "The Mouse" and "Icons" in Chapter 1 is the default. Windows' alternative setting is a weblike interface, letting you open icons by single-clicking—instead of double-clicking, which can be awkward for beginners. (Right-clicking and dragging remain unchanged.)
To open items with a single click:
Choose Start > Control Panel > Appearance and Personalization > Folder Options > General tab (Figure 4.61).
Figure 4.61 You can open items in folders and on the desktop by single-clicking them, just as you click a link on a webpage. To select an item without opening it, move the pointer over it.
Choose Start, type folder options in the Search box, and then press Enter.
- In the Click Items As Follows section, select Single-Click to Open an Item (Point to Select).
- Choose icon title underlining: permanent (like links on a webpage) or temporary (only when you point to icons).
- Click OK (or Apply).
The instructions in this book assume that you use the default behavior, but if you choose the alternative:
- There's no more double-clicking. To open an icon, click it. To select an icon, move the pointer over it; don't click.
- To select multiple icons, hold down the Ctrl or Shift key while moving the pointer over each desired icon; again, don't click. Ctrl selects individual icons; Shift selects a range of icons.
To rename an icon, point to it, press F2, type the name, and then press Enter.
Right-click it, choose Rename, type the name, and then press Enter.