- Creating a Mesh Object from a Regular Pattern of Mesh Points
- Editing the Colors of a Gradient Mesh
- Moving the Points of a Gradient Mesh
- Adding or Deleting Points in a Gradient Mesh
- Distorting the Points of a Gradient Mesh
- Removing a Gradient Mesh from an Object
- Tips for Working with a Gradient Mesh
Adding or Deleting Points in a Gradient Mesh
In addition to moving the points of a gradient mesh, you can add or subtract mesh points and lines. Subtracting mesh points allows you to create a simpler mesh with less distortion. Adding mesh points, on the other hand, makes your gradient mesh more complex, with more different colors or shades of a single color. More points can be very beneficial when you're attempting to produce realistic artwork (such as a person's face) or a greater variety of gradient, for instance. Let's try it:
- Deselect the mesh object on the page.
- Select the Mesh tool, if it's not already selected, and position the pointer over the center mesh point. Hold down the Alt (Windows) or Option (Mac) key. A minus sign (-) appears next to the pointer. Click the point to remove that point and its associated mesh lines.
- To add a point, position the pointer over the object in a blank area. When the plus sign appears to the right of the pointer, click to add another mesh point.
- Deselect the mesh object by choosing Select > Deselect.
- With the Mesh tool selected, choose a fill color in the control panel (or elsewhere) that's different from the mesh object's colors.
- Position the pointer over the mesh object. Click in a blank area when the plus sign appears next to the pointer (see Figure 10).
Notice that a new mesh point and lines are added. Also notice that the color assigned to the mesh point is the same color that was at that spot in the objectit hasn't changed (see Figure 9).
If you want to add a mesh point and add another color to the mesh object, you need to select the color first.
Figure 9 Adding and subtracting mesh points and mesh lines.
Figure 10 Adding a mesh point and a different color.