Create a Picture in Picture or Side by Side Scene Project
Difficulty level: Easy
Similar to a cutaway, the Picture in Picture feature provides the opportunity to display a second clip without disrupting the main video, only in this case the clip appears in a box in the corner of the screen. Another option is the Side by Side effect, which splits the screen to display two clips at once.
Add the Picture in Picture or Side by Side clip
Creating a Picture in Picture or Side by Side clip works the same way as creating a cutaway, with the clip appearing above the main video track. In the case of the Picture in Picture effect, other controls are also available.
Adding a Picture in Picture or Side by Side clip
- Select a range of video from the Event browser and drag it onto a clip in your project.
- Choose Picture in Picture or Side by Side from the pop-up menu.
- If you added a Picture in Picture clip, go to the Viewer and drag the clip to change its location within the frame. You can also resize the box by dragging the corner handles (Figure 4.24).
Figure 4.24 Resizing a Picture in Picture clip
Edit the clip settings
Double-click the Picture in Picture or Side by Side clip to bring up the Clip inspector, where you'll find settings specific to each effect, such as the option to apply a border style to the Picture in Picture clip.
Setting Picture in Picture options
PIP Effect: This option controls how the picture box appears. From the pop-up menu, choose Dissolve for a fade-in effect, or Zoom to enlarge the box from a corner. Then, set a duration for the effect using the slider ( Figure 4.25).
The PIP Effect pop-up menu also includes a curious gem: Swap. When that's enabled, the Picture in Picture clip occupies the entire frame while the base clip appears in the box.
Figure 4.25 Settings for Picture in Picture
- Border Width: Click a button to specify no border (the default) or a thin or thick border around the box.
- Border Color: "Color" is a bit of a stretch here, but if the Border Width is set to thin or thick, use this option to set the border as black, gray, or white.
- Drop Shadow: Click the Visible checkbox to make the box cast a subtle shadow.