Adding a drop shadow to text
When you add a drop shadow to an object, the result is a 3D effect that makes the object appear to float above the page and cast a shadow on the page and objects below. You can add a drop shadow to any object, and you have the option to assign a shadow independently to an object’s stroke or fill or to the text within a text frame.
Now you’ll try this technique by adding a drop shadow to the “bistro” text.
- Using the Selection tool (), select the text frame that contains the word “bistro.” Hold down the Z key to temporarily access the Zoom tool, or select the Zoom tool (), and magnify the frame so that you can see the text clearly.
- Select the Text level in the Effects panel.
- At the bottom of the Effects panel, click the FX button (), and choose Drop Shadow from the menu.
- In the Options section of the Effects dialog box, enter 0.125 in for Size and 20% for Spread. Make sure that Preview is selected so that you can see the effects on your page.
- Click OK to apply the drop shadow to the text.
- Choose File > Save to save your work.