- Create and Save a TextEdit Document
- Find and Replace Words or Phrases
- Paste Text to Match the Existing Text
- Use Your Favorite Text Styles Easily
- Tabs and Indents
- Create Lists That Number Themselves
- Create Tables
- Print Automatic Page Numbers
- Automatic Spelling Correction
- Select Noncontiguous Text
- Show Substitutions
- Extra Tips and Notes
- Read Microsoft Word Files
Print Automatic Page Numbers
You can add page numbers to a printed document (the numbers won’t appear on the screen). This feature also automatically adds the name of the document in the upper-left corner of the page (including the extension, probably .rtf), the date and time in the upper-right corner, and the words “Page ___ of ___” in the bottom-right corner. That is, in TextEdit you can’t choose one or the other of these—they all appear on the page, or none.
To print the page numbers (and everything else), press Command P (or go to the File menu and choose “Print...”). In the Print dialog box, shown below-left, click “Show Details.” In the expanded Print dialog (below, right), check the box to “Print header and footer.” Click “Print” to print the document.