Using Phone Settings
When you signed up with your cellular phone carrier, you probably ended up with some nice phone features like call forwarding or call waiting. The settings that work with these features are under Settings > Phone . Here’s what these settings are for:
- My Number. Your iPhone’s number is displayed here. You can change the number here, but changing it doesn’t actually change it with your carrier; for the most part it simply changes anywhere on your iPhone where the number is displayed. It’s best to leave it unchanged unless the carrier asks you to do so when you are changing numbers associated with the phone.
- FaceTime. You can toggle FaceTime capabilities on or off (read more about using FaceTime in Chapter 13).
- Call Forwarding. Tap it to see the slider to turn it on or off. If you turn it on, you will be presented with a screen where you can enter the number you wish your calls to be forwarded to.
- Call Waiting. Tap it to get to a slider where you can turn it on or off.
- Show My Caller ID. You can hide your caller ID by tapping this option and sliding it to off.
- TTY. This accessibility option can be used if you need to connect your iPhone to a TTY (a device that facilitates messaging for deaf and hearing-impaired users) with an adapter cable.
- Change Voicemail Password. If you need to change your voicemail password, tap this and enter your current code. Tap Done and enter a new password. Tap Done and enter your new password one more time.
- Dial Assist. This option will automatically enter country codes for you when you’re traveling in another country.
- SIM PIN. You can add a code or PIN number to lock your SIM module. This means that before a call can be made, the correct PIN has to be entered.
- AT&T Services. Depending on your location and carrier, you may see this option, which opens a list of shortcut codes you can contact for various services. Tapping on one of these will automatically dial the number, and some will send you a text message with information (with the exception of Directory Assistance). Tapping AT&T MyAccount opens a web page with more information.