Editing the Pattern Brush
Now, you’ll edit the Border brush using a pattern swatch that you create.
- Click the Swatches panel icon () to expand the Swatches panel, or choose Window > Swatches.
- Choose View > Pattern objects to zoom in to the life preserver off the right edge of the artboard.
- With the Selection tool (), drag the life preserver into the Swatches panel. The new pattern swatch appears in the Swatches panel.
- Choose Select > Deselect.
- In the Swatches panel, double-click the pattern swatch that you just created. In the Pattern Options dialog box, name the swatch Corner and choose 1 x 1 from the Copies menu.
- Click Done in the gray bar, along the top of the Document window, to finish editing the pattern.
- Choose View > Fit Artboard In Window.
- In the Brushes panel, double-click the Border Pattern brush to open the Pattern Brush Options dialog box.
- Click the Outer Corner Tile box, and choose the Corner pattern swatch from the menu that appears.
- In the Pattern Brush Options dialog box, change the Scale to 70% and click OK.
- In the Brush Change Alert dialog box, click Apply To Strokes to update the border on the artboard.
- With the Selection tool selected, click to select one of the paths that contains a row of windows. Click the Border brush in the Brushes panel to apply it.
- Choose Edit > Undo Apply Pattern Brush to remove the brush from the path.
- Choose Select > Deselect, and then choose File > Save.
After you create a pattern brush, you can delete the pattern swatches from the Swatches panel if you don’t plan to use them for additional artwork.
Notice that the life preservers are not applied to the path. The path is painted with the side tile from the Border brush. Because the path does not include sharp corners, the outer corner and inner corner tiles are not applied to the path.