- Create and Save a TextEdit Document
- Find and Replace Words or Phrases
- Paste Text to Match the Existing Text
- Use Your Favorite Text Styles Easily
- Tabs and Indents
- Create Lists that Number Themselves
- Create Tables
- Print Automatic Page Numbers
- Automatic Spelling Correction
- Select Noncontiguous Text
- Show Substitutions
- Extra Tips and Notes
- Read Microsoft Word Files
Use Your Favorite Text Styles Easily
TextEdit doesn’t have the powerful style sheets of a full-blown word processor, but it does make your writing life much easier by letting you create favorite styles of basic type features so you can apply them quickly. A “style” contains all of the formatting information, such as typeface, size, color, indents, etc., so you can apply everything to selected text with one click of a button.
These styles are saved with TextEdit, not with an individual document, so you can use the same styles in different documents.
To create your own favorite style:
- Type some text, any text, and set up the typeface, size, color, linespace, and the ruler the way you want it.
- Click anywhere in that formatted text.
Click the Paragraph Styles button, then choose “Show Styles....”
- In the sheet that slides down (right), click the button “Add To Favorites.”
- Name the style and choose your options. Click “Add.”
To apply a style, select a range of characters, then choose the style name from the Paragraph Styles pop-up menu in the toolbar. All of the formatting that you saved with that style will be automatically applied to the selected text.