- Reference 4.1 Understand Automatic Software Update
- Reference 4.2 Manually Install Updates
- Reference 4.3 Examine Installation History
- Exercise 4.1 Manually Install Software Updates in a Classroom
- Exercise 4.2 Manually Install Software Updates Independently
- Exercise 4.3 Use Automatic Software Update
Exercise 4.2 Manually Install Software Updates Independently
If you want to keep a copy of an update or want to install additional software (such as printer drivers) available for download from the Apple Support site, this exercise shows you how to download and install updates manually.
Download an Update from the Internet
- Open Safari.
Navigate to https://support.apple.com/downloads/.
This page shows the featured updates Apple has made available for download. If you do not see the update you want, click “Browse by Product,” and then either browse for it by product category or enter its name in the Search Downloads field.
The following screenshots use the Savin Printer Drivers package as an example, but you can choose any update for which your computer is eligible.
- When you find the update you want to install, click its Download button.
- Wait for the download to complete. Note that a progress indicator in the Safari Downloads button, near the top right of the window, shows the status of the download.
- Click the Downloads (down-arrow icon) button near the top right of the window.
Click the View (magnifying-glass icon) button next to the update you downloaded.
Your Downloads folder opens in the Finder, and the disk image containing the update is selected.
Install the Update
Open the disk image file.
The disk image mounts, and you will see the installer package it contains.
Open the installer package.
The installer opens and walks you through the installation process.
- Continue through the installer prompts, and agree to the license agreement if required.
When prompted, authenticate as Local Admin (password: ladminpw, or whatever you chose when you created the account).
Manual software updates usually require administrative privileges to install.
- After the update installs, click Close or Restart as appropriate.
- If you did not restart, eject the disk image before proceeding. You can do this by Control-clicking in the background of the image’s window and choosing Eject from the shortcut menu or by using the Eject button next to the disk image’s name in the Finder sidebar.