- Displaying Information in the Project Window
- Finding Items in a Project
- Sorting Footage in the Project Window
- Using Labels
- Organizing Footage in Folders
- Renaming and Removing Items
- Proxies and Placeholders
- Proxies in the Project Window
- Viewing Footage
- Opening Footage in the Original Application
- The Footage Window
- Cueing Motion Footage
- Magnification and Safe Zones
- Video-Safe Zones and Grids
- Rulers and Guides
- Viewing Transparency
- Correcting for Pixel Aspect Ratios
In Chapter 2, you learned that the footage items you import can retain almost every aspect of their source files, including transparency. In the Footage window, transparency always appears as black ( Figure 3.97 ). However, if the black background isn't convenient, you can toggle the transparent areas to appear as a checkerboard pattern, or transparency grid ( Figure 3.98 ).
Figure 3.97 In the Footage window, transparent areas of the image appear as black.
Figure 3.98 You can also make transparent areas appear as a checkerboard pattern, or transparency grid. This also works in the Composition and Layer windows.
Like many of the other buttons in the Footage window, the Toggle Transparency Grid button is also available in the Layer and Composition windows. However, in contrast to the Footage window, you can set the Composition window's background to any color. The next chapter revisits viewing transparency and other unique aspects of the Composition window.
To toggle the transparency grid
- In the Footage, Composition, or Layer window, click the Toggle Transparency Grid button
Figure 3.99 Click the Toggle Transparency Grid button to toggle between showing transparent areas as black (in the Footage window, or as the specified background color in the Composition window) and shown them as a checkerboard pattern.
When the Toggle Transparency Grid button is selected, transparent areas appear as a checkerboard pattern; when the button isn't selected, transparent areas appear black in a Footage or Layer window. In a Composition window, transparent areas appear as the color you set.