Modifying Master Slides
Most of the time, you'll probably be happy with the styles and layouts in the master slides from the theme that you are using. But each presentation is different, and sometimes you want to change one or more of the slide masters to better fit the content of your presentation. You'll do this by making changes to one or more of the master slides in your presentation.
It's important to understand that modifying a master slide changes it only for the presentation file you are currently working in; it doesn't modify the copy of the master slide that is in the theme file, and your changes also don't modify master slides of the same name in other themes.
A big change in Keynote 2 is that a single presentation file can contain more than one theme, including all of the master slides within each theme ( Figure 3.5 ). Again, changing master slides in your presentation file does not change any of the master slides in the theme files.
Figure 3.5 One of the new features in Keynote 2 is the ability to contain multiple themes in one presentation file. This figure shows one file with master slides from Apple's Imagine and Pinstripe themes.
You'll find much more information about modifying master slides in Chapter 13, "Creating Custom Master Slides."
To modify a master slide
- Choose View > Show Master Slides to display the Master Slides Organizer.
- Click the Inspector button in the Toolbar to display the Inspector window.
- Select the slide master that you wish to change.
The Inspector window changes to the Master Slide Inspector (
Figure 3.6 The Master Slide Inspector lets you hide or show the title, body, and slide number text boxes; change the background; set the slide transition (though that is usually done at the slide level, not the master slide level); insert a placeholder for objects; and allow objects on the slide to layer with the master.
- Select elements on the master slide and modify them, or add new elements. See Chapter 4 for more information on modifying text boxes, and see Chapter 5 for more information on modifying graphics. If you want to change the slide background, see the next section in this chapter.
- When you're done making changes to the master slide, select another master slide to modify, or click on one of the slides in the Slide Navigator to continue editing your presentation.