- #17 Creating Text Frames
- #18 Modifying Text Frames
- #19 Threading Text Frames
- #20 Creating Type Paths
- #21 Importing Text
- #22 Entering and Editing Text
- #23 Applying Character and Paragraph Formats
- #24 Composing Type
- #25 Creating Bulleted and Numbered Lists
- #26 Setting Tabs
- #27 Setting Text Defaults
- #28 Working with Fonts
- #29 Using Paragraph and Character Styles
- #30 Using the Story Editor
- #31 Checking Spelling
- #32 Correcting Spelling Automatically
- #33 Searching and Replacing Text
#25 Creating Bulleted and Numbered Lists
Lists are a great way to break up blocks of text, keeping text from both looking and sounding boring ( Figure 25a ). With features similar to those in Microsoft Word, InDesign makes it easy to create bulleted and numbered lists automatically. The feature, called Bullets and Numbering, is actually lifted from PageMaker. Aside from saving you the time of entering a bullet or number for each paragraph, formatting it, and specifying a tab and indent, the Bullets and Numbering feature creates lists that are easy to edit. For example, as you add paragraphs, bullets are added or numbers are inserted as necessary.
Figure 25a Clicking the Numbered List button in the PageMaker toolbox created this list.
To create a bulleted or numbered list:
- Highlight the paragraphs with the Type tool.
- Display the Paragraph panel in the Control palette (or choose Type > Paragraph to display the Paragraph palette).
- Choose Bullets and Numbering from the palette menu.
- In the Bullets and Numbering dialog box (
), choose an option from the List Type menu at the top: Bullets or Numbers.
Figure 25b The Bullets and Numbering dialog box lets you customize the formatting of automatic bulleted and numbered lists.
- Choose a type of bullet or number. When working with bullets, click the Add button to access a character map and select new bullet characters. When working with numbers, you can specify a Style (1, 2, 3 or i, ii, iii, for example), Separator (such as a period), and a Start At number.
- Use the menus to choose a Font Family, Font Style, Size, and Color.
- In the Bullet or Number Position area, choose Hanging or Flush Left from the Position menu and specify the indents.
After you've created a bulleted or numbered list, you can change any of the settings by highlighting the paragraphs and opening the Bullets and Numbering dialog box again.