- Thoroughly updated guide covers new techniques and emerging technologies in 3D graphics production, including polynomial texture mapping, HDRI, and more.
- Software-agnostic focus teaches essential skills and concepts that can be applied in any 3D rendering package.
- Jeremy Birn is an animation and production pro who spent the past two years working on 'The Incredibles' for Pixar.
- Copyright 2006
- Edition: 2nd
- ISBN-10: 0-321-31631-2
- ISBN-13: 978-0-321-31631-8
Crafting a perfect rendering in 3D software means nailing all the details. And no matter what software you use, your success in creating realistic-looking illumination, shadows and textures depends on your professional lighting and rendering techniques. In this lavishly illustrated new edition, Pixar's Jeremy Birn shows you how to:
- Master Hollywood lighting techniques to produce professional results in any 3D application
- Convincingly composite 3D models into real-world environments
- Apply advanced rendering techniques using subsurface scattering, global illumination, caustics, occlusion, and high dynamic range images
- Design realistic materials and paint detailed texture maps
- Mimic real-life camera properties such as f-stops, exposure times, depth-of-field, and natural color temperatures for photorealistic renderings
- Render in multiple passes for greater efficiency and creative control
- Understand production pipelines at visual effects and animation studios
- Develop your lighting reel to get a job in the industry