- NEW - Fully updated for the latest Photoshop 7 features and capabilities.
- Extensive case studies—Presents a wide range of professional-quality case studies, from advertisements and digital media to CD covers.
- Expert-level coverage of color correction, color management, and related challenges in digital imaging—Includes detailed, advanced coverage of Photoshop 7 color correction tools, color spaces, device characterization, color management, calibration, scanning, and the steps involved in creating a master image.
- Practical coverage of problem images, retouching, and restoration—Covers advanced selection techniques, adjustment layer masks, replace color, color matching, duotones, complex color correction, increasing dynamic range, tuning opposite color areas, and more.
- Full section on Web graphics—Detailed coverage of creating JPEGs, GIFs, Web photo galleries, and images for multimedia applications.
- Complete section on compositing—Presents in-depth coverage of compositing multiple images with layers, adjustment layers, and layer masks.
- Copyright 2002
- Dimensions: 8" x 10"
- Pages: 496
- Edition: 1st
- ISBN-10: 0-7357-1240-9
- ISBN-13: 978-0-7357-1240-9
Photoshop 7 Artistry is the book for serious professional photographers and digital artists who need to create expert imagery. This book will help you master the relationship between Photoshop tools and traditional photography. Photoshop Artistry is probably the most successful advanced-level Photoshop book available. It's initial appeal for photographers has been transcended; the basic principles the authors teach apply to all Photoshop users-particularly more-advanced users-and the advent of digital photography has further boosted the book's popularity. Covers creation and output of museum-quality art prints, images for high-end advertising, as well as GIFs, JPEGs, and Web Photo Galleries
Online Sample Chapter
Color Spaces, Device Characterization, and Color Management in Photoshop 7
Downloadable Sample Chapter
Chapter 28: Hands-On Session: rain in Costa Rica (PDF) - 847Kb - 0735712409C.pdf
Table of Contents
I. ESSENTIAL PHOTOSHOP TOOLS AND FUNCTIONALITY. 1. How to Use This Book and the Photoshop 7 Artistry CD. 2. Navigating in Photoshop. 3. Setting System and Photoshop Preferences. 4. The Tool Palette. 5. Picking and Using Color. 6. Selections, Paths, Masks and Channels. 7. Layers, Layer Masks and Adjustment Layers. 8. History Palette, History Brush and Snapshots. 9. Transformation of Images, Layers, Paths and Selections. 10. File Formats and Image Compression. 11. Automating with Actions.
II. COLOR CORRECTION AND CALIBRATION TO CREATE A MASTER DIGITAL IMAGE. 12. Color Correction Tools. 13. Digital Imaging and the Zone System. 14. Color Spaces, Device Characterization and Color Management. 15. Photoshop Color Preferences, Monitor, Scanner and Printer Calibration. 16. Image Resolution, Scanning Film and Digital Cameras. 17. Steps to Create a Master Image.
III. OVERALL COLOR CORRECTION, SELECTION AND LAYER TECHNIQUES. 18. The Car Ad (Detailed Lasso, Quick Mask, and Color Selection Techniques). 19. Overall Color Correction (Overall Color Correction of Normal Images Including Selected Area Modifications, Sharpening and Spotting, Print and Web Output). 20. Correcting a Problem Image (Overall Color Correction of Problem Images, Advanced Selections and Adjustment Layer Masks for Specific Color Correction, Spotting and Sharpening Using Unsharp Mask, CMYK Preview and Conversion). 21. Yellow Flowers (Replace Color, Color Range, and Mask Blur for Selection and Color Change). 22. Color Matching Images.
IV. ADVANCED COLOR CORRECTION AND RESTORATION TECHNIQUES. 23. Burnley Graveyard (Duotones). 24. Desert Al (Complex Color Correction and Retouching). 25. Restoring Old Photos (Making a Great B&W Image, Colorizing B&W). 26. Combining Bracketed Photos or Two Scans to Increase Dynamic Range. 27. Bryce Stone Woman (LAB Color Correction, Using Layers to Tune Opposite Color Areas).
V. COMPOSITING MULTIPLE IMAGES WITH LAYERS, ADJUSTMENT LAYERS AND LAYER MASKS. 28. Rain in Costa Rica (Basic Compositing Techniques to Create a Not-So-Basic Image). 29. The McNamaras (Seamless Composites and Color Correction of People). 30. The PowerBook Ad (A Complex Composite Production Ad).
VI. CALCULATIONS, PATTERNS, FILTERS, COMPOSITING AND EFFECTS. 31. Blend Modes, Calculations and Apply Image. 32. Layer Clipping Paths, Shape Layers and Layer Styles. 32. Vector Masks, Shape Layers and Layer Styles. 33. Posterize, Bitmaps, Textures and Patterns. 33. Texture and Pattern. 34. HeartSinger CD Cover (Many Great Techniques for Using the Built-In). 34. HeartSinger CD Cover (Many Great Techniques for Using the Built-In Filters and Effects). 35. Painting in Photoshop (Applies Only to Photoshop 7).
VII. IMAGES FOR THE WEB AND MULTIMEDIA. 36. Differences in Creating for the Web and 8-Bit Color. 37. Optimizing Images for the Web & Multimedia. 38. Creating Your Own Web Photo Gallery. 39. Creating Slices, Animations and Rollovers in ImageReady. Bibliography. Index.