- Read Microsoft Word Files
- Find and Replace Words or Phrases
- Paste Text to Match the Existing Text
- Use your Favorite Text Styles Easily
- Complete your Word Automatically
- Typographer's Quotes!
- Tabs and Indents
- Create Lists that Number Themselves
- Create Tables
- Create Live Web Links and Email Links
- Select Non-Contiguous Text
- Print Automatic Page Numbers
- Extra Tips and Notes
- Standard Mac OS X Application Features
- TextEdit is Integrated With:
- Other Relevant Lessons for TextEdit
Paste Text to Match the Existing Text
This is one of my favorite features. Let’s say you’re writing a term paper and you copy a quote from a web page to add to your paper (properly cited, of course). Typically the copied text pastes in with the typeface, style, size, and color that were originally applied to it. But to add this quotation to your term paper, you want it to look like the rest of your page. Use this great feature instead of the regular paste:
- From the Edit menu, choose Paste and Match Style, or use the keyboard shortcut, Shift Option Command V.
The pasted text will pick up all the formatting from the character to the left of the flashing insertion point. This technique works in Mail as well.