- Using Control Panel
- Setting the Window Color
- Turning off Aero
- Setting the Desktop Background
- Setting the Screen Saver
- Setting the Desktop Theme
- Configuring the Monitor
- Configuring the Mouse
- Configuring the Keyboard
- Configuring Sound and Audio Devices
- Setting the Date and Time
- Localizing Your System
- Accommodating Disabled Users
- Using Speech Recognition
- Using Alternative Mouse Behavior
- Conserving Power
- Managing Fonts
- Managing Visual Effects and Performance
- Restoring the Old Windows Look
- Getting General System Information
Setting the Desktop Background
You can change the image, or wallpaper, that appears under the icons on your desktop. If you don't like the desktop backgrounds that Windows or your PC manufacturer provides, you can use one of your own pictures.
To set the desktop background:
Choose Start > Control Panel > Appearance and Personalization > Personalization > Desktop Background (Figure 4.10).
Figure 4.10 By default, Windows looks for background pictures in your personal Pictures folder (\Users\username\Pictures), the shared Pictures folder (\Users\Public\Pictures), and \Windows\Web\Wallpaper.
Right-click an empty area of the desktop and choose Personalize > Desktop Background.
Choose a location from the Picture Location drop-down list, and click the picture or color that you want for your background.
To use your own picture, click Browse, find the picture file on your computer or network, and then double-click it to make it your background. It will appear in the list of desktop backgrounds.
In the How Should the Picture Be Positioned? section, choose an option:
Resize the image to fit your screen (with some distortion). This option works best with large images and photos.
Tile the image repeatedly over the entire screen. This option works best with small images.
Center the image on the desktop background.
- If you chose to center the image in the preceding step, click Change Background Color to select a desktop color to fill the space unoccupied by the picture.
- Click OK.