- Taking On the New Tools
- Reason 1: Easier Item Manipulation
- Reason 2: Drag-and-Drop Text and Pictures
- Reason 3: Font Previews in Menus
- Reason 4: Hanging Characters
- Reason 5: Grids and Guides
- Reason 6: Updating Style Sheets
- Reason 7: Jump to Master Page
- Reason 8: Picture Resolution Display
- A New Way to Work
Reason 1: Easier Item Manipulation
Itemsboxes, lines, tablesare the building blocks of every layout, and QuarkXPress 8 has made every aspect of working with items easier:
- Creating items: You no longer need to create a text box or a picture boxjust a box. Boxes are created automatically for content you drag-and-drop, and the drawing tools work more like those in other drawing programs, just for starters.
- Duplicating items: Hold down Option/Alt as you drag with the Item tool to create a copy (see Figure 2).
- Resizing from the center: When you're dragging an item's resize handle, hold down Option/Alt to resize the item from the center rather than the side or corner you're dragging (see Figure 3).
- Formatting items: Create item styles (Window > Item Styles) to apply multiple attributes to items quickly and consistently (see Figure 4). Update item styles or use Edit > Item Find/Change for global formatting changes.
Figure 2 Duplicating an item with the mouse.
Figure 3 Resizing an item from the center.
Figure 4 The Item Styles palette.