Step 4: Adding the First Layer of Text to the HUD
The inside of your tactical glasses needs to display some kind of textcreating the first element of the HUD display. To do this, you will use the Premiere Elements Text Tool, with a few modifications to how the default text is displayed.
Task: Add the first layer of text by following these steps:
- Click on the Add Default Text button to open the Text Tool (see Figure 15). A new title will appear on the Title_1 track of the Timeline at the CTI position.
- Inside the text tool, type in your HUD text; in this case Target: has been entered (see Figure 16) and then the spacebar on the keyboard was pressed around 10 times. This is to shorten the duration of an animation you will add later in this section.
- Click on the Selection tool, then move the text to the top right of the screen (see Figure 17).
- Click on the Text Tool and highlight the text by dragging the mouse cursor over the text, then adjust the font, style, and point size to suit your requirements (see Figure 18).
- Locate the Text Animation presets at the bottom left of the Text tools interface, then scroll down until you find Slideinbycharacter. Highlight this effect, then click apply to apply it to your text (see Figure 19).
- Click on Done to close the Text Tool, then play the Timeline to see if you like the effect. Return to the Text tool by double-clicking the title if you need to make any adjustments.
- Finish this section by dragging the tail of the title down the Timeline until it is the same length as the POV clip (see Figure 20).