Viewing an Emailed Photo's Location Information
When you receive an email message containing a geo-tagged photo, you can use either Preview or iPhoto to quickly and easily show a map of the location where the photo was taken.
Viewing Location Info in Preview
Follow these steps to see a map in Preview:
- Right-click or Control-click the photo in the email message, select "Open with," and choose Preview.app (see Figure 11).
- With the photo open in Preview, press Command-I (for Inspector). The Inspector palette opens, as shown in Figure 12.
- Click the second tab (the "More Info" Inspector) in the top toolbar, highlighted in Figure 12.
- Click the GPS tab. The latitude and longitude of the photo are displayed in the dialog. A world map with crosshairs shows where the photo was taken.
- Click the Locate button in the lower-left corner of the More Info Inspector to open a Google map in your browser, showing a detailed map of the photo's location (see Figure 13). A green arrow shows the exact location where the photo was captured.
Figure 11 Right-click or Control-click a photo in an email message; then choose to open the photo in Preview.
Figure 12 Preview's Inspector palette includes a GPS panel that marks the photo location.
Figure 13 A detailed map view marks the photo location with a green arrow.
Viewing Location Info in iPhoto
Follow these steps to see a map in iPhoto: