- Why use Camera Raw?
- Choosing preferences for opening photos
- Opening photos into Camera Raw
- The Camera Raw tools
- Cropping and straightening photos
- Choosing default workflow settings
- Using the Camera Raw tabs
- Using the Basic tab
- Using the Tone Curve tab
- Using the HSL/Grayscale tab
- Using the Detail tab
- Adding a grain texture
- Using the Adjustment Brush
- Retouching a photo
- Saving and applying Camera Raw settings
- Synchronizing Camera Raw settings
- Converting, opening, and saving Camera Raw files
- Opening and placing photos into Photoshop as Smart Objects
Synchronizing Camera Raw settings
When you open multiple photos into Camera Raw, they are represented by thumbnails in a filmstrip panel on the left side of the dialog. After adjusting one photo or choosing a settings preset, you can click Synchronize to apply those settings to all the open photos. In practice, it’s unlikely that every single adjustment that is needed for one photo will work perfectly on all the rest, even if they’re from the same shoot. The Synchronize option is useful, however, for applying settings incrementally. For example, you could apply an adjustments preset or some adjustments in the Basic tab to a whole group of photos (perhaps to correct the white balance and exposure), click Synchronize, then select smaller and smaller batches for more targeted adjustments.
To synchronize the Camera Raw settings of multiple photos
- In Bridge, select two or more image thumbnails, preferably for photos that were shot under the same lighting conditions and that require the same type of correction (they should be all raw files or all JPEG files). Double-click one of the selected thumbnails.
- A filmstrip panel displays on the left side of the Camera Raw dialog. A Click one of the thumbnails.
- Make the necessary adjustments to the selected image, including cropping if all the images are to be cropped in exactly the same way. You could also click a preset in the Presets tab.
- Click Select All at the top of the filmstrip panel or Ctrl-click/Cmd-click the thumbnails that you want to apply the corrections to, then click Synchronize. The Synchronize dialog opens (it looks like the Save Settings dialog, which is shown on the preceding page).
- Either manually check the setting(s) to be applied or choose a category from the Synchronize menu (and check any additional boxes).
- To apply the current settings in the categories you checked to all the selected thumbnails, click OK.
- To cycle through the photos in the filmstrip panel, click the left or right arrowhead below the preview (in the lower right). If more than one thumbnail is selected, Camera Raw will cycle through only those photos.