- Office-Wide Feature: Microsoft Office Backstage
- Office-Wide Feature: Image Editing
- Office-Wide Feature: Paste Options
- Office-Wide Feature: Contextual Spell Checking
- Outlook Feature: Ribbon Interface
- Excel Feature: Sparklines
- Word Feature: Navigation Pane
- PowerPoint Feature: Animation Painter
- PowerPoint Feature: Web Broadcasting
- Office On the Web
PowerPoint Feature: Web Broadcasting
This Backstage treasure almost slipped past me. In recent Office versions, many sharing, collaborative, and communications features were directed at corporate and institutional users who had ready access to SharePoint and other Microsoft servers. Although such features often work bestor onlywith SharePoint, web broadcasting of PowerPoint presentations can also be accomplished by anyone who has a free Windows Live or Hotmail account. To initiate a web broadcast, open the presentation, click the File tab, and select Broadcast Slide Show in the Share section of the Backstage. After the slide show has been uploaded to Microsoft's server and converted for online presentation, email or instant-message the show's URL (see Figure 11) to the audience members, wait a couple of minutes until you think everyone is ready, and begin the broadcast (see Figure 12).
Figure 11 Communicate the provided URL for the show to the people you want to view it. When you think the audience is ready, click the Start Slide Show button.
Figure 12 Broadcasts can be viewed in Internet Explorer, Firefox, or Safari.